WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF AN ELEMENTARY GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING PROGRAM?
The primary purpose of the Elementary Guidance Program is to promote the social, emotional, and academic welfare of each student at Pine Street Elementary School.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ROLE?
Pine Street is fortunate to have two counselors. Mrs. Natalie Mullen is the Primary Grades Counselor, serving students in kindergarten through 2nd grade. Mrs. Jodi Stepp is the Intermediate Grades Counselor, serving students in grades 3 through 5. Both counselors provide classroom guidance throughout the school year, conduct small group and individual counseling to students, and consult with teachers and parents concerning student needs. In addition to these responsibilities, the counselors serve as school test coordinators for the district, state, and federal testing at Pine Street.
WHAT TOPICS DO COUNSELORS DISCUSS WITH STUDENTS, PARENTS, AND TEACHERS?
Counselors help students to:
- Understand the abilities and limitations
- Adjust to a new school
- Find answers to concerns
- Develop skills in getting along with others in the classroom
- Achieve academically in school
- Become aware of the world of work
- Counselors talk with parents about their child’s:
- Progress in school
- Abilities and limitations
- Growth and development
- Counselors assist teachers in:
- Understanding and meeting individual student needs
- Providing guidance for students
- Finding special help for students when it is needed