In addition to regular classroom assessments, DMES students are assessed in a number of ways specified by our district and state. Assessments include…
- Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (KRA)– taken by all K5 students in the first 45 days of school, this assessment helps teachers understand what skills to focus on in order to provide our youngest students the best possible start to their academic journey. Click here to learn more about the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment.
- Our district also utilizes Fountas and Pinnell to understand our students’ reading levels. Click here to learn more about Fountas and Pinnell.
- Measures of Academic Progress (MAP)– taken by students in 2nd-5th grade three times a year, this computerized test offers data about student performance in reading and math and provides data to guide teaching. Click here to learn more about Measures of Academic Progess by NWEA.
- Gifted and Talented Testing– beginning in 2nd grade, students take assessments that help us to identify children eligible to participate in Odyssey, our district’s gifted and talented program. Click here to learn more about the Gifted and Talented identification process.
- SCPASS – students in 4th grade participate in the science portion of this state mandated test, and 5th graders take the social studies portion. Click here to learn more about SCPASS.
- SCREADY – all of South Carolina’s 3rd-5th grade students take SC Ready, a three-part assessment that focuses on English Language Arts and Math. Click here to learn more about SCREADY.
In addition to the above, there are assessments that are specific to English language learners and students in special education.
To learn more about assessment, please contact our school guidance counselors, Bettina Johnson or Sarah Watson, or click here to visit the SC Department of Education’s Assessment homepage.