Virtual Program Option for 2021-2022
Although South Carolina school districts are not required to offer virtual education for the 2021-2022 year, District 7 is allowing students to apply for the Spartanburg County Public Virtual Program in order to meet the needs of families who have extenuating circumstances due to COVID-19. An overview of this program is below.
An application process will take place for two weeks from Monday, May 24–Friday, June 4. Parents who are interested in applying must contact their students’ guidance counselor to schedule an in-person or virtual meeting during this timeframe. Completed applications are due to the guidance counselor no later than noon on Friday, June 4. Only families who are new to District 7 will be considered for the virtual program after June 4, 2021.
Applications will be approved based on attendance, grades, student performance, in-home support from a parent/guardian, and the student’s overall potential for success. District 7 has a limited number of spots for this virtual program.
Please note that students enrolled in the virtual program may not attend any classes in person at their home school and their enrollment is for the ENTIRE 2021-2022 YEAR.
School Operations and Virtual Option for 2021-2022
The COVID-19 vaccine is now available for all people over age 12. We are thankful that confirmed cases and quarantines across District 7 have been reduced to very few over the last few months and we look forward to welcoming our students back to the classroom in order to provide the best possible learning environment.
Many students have struggled academically, socially and emotionally during the pandemic and need a great deal of support in order to recoup learning loss. We know they will thrive best in our classrooms, face-to-face with our teachers, with their friends, and with the extended support systems in our schools. Our teachers and administrators have created a comprehensive, evidence-based academic recovery plan for summer 2021 and for implementation in our schools next year.
The South Carolina Department of Education has lifted its requirement for school districts to provide a virtual learning platform for the coming year. However, District 7 understands some families have special circumstances and we plan to continue to provide a virtual option. We have learned a great deal through our experience this year that has allowed us to shift our approach to virtual learning for 2021-2022. Our District 7 teachers will return to in-person teaching and families wishing to receive virtual instruction will be served through our long-standing partnership with the Spartanburg County Public Virtual Program, which has been in place for over ten years and provides S.C. certified teachers who specialize in the virtual environment. This will better serve students who struggled with the self-paced Apex platform this year.
An application process has been developed in order to help ensure students are successful with learning through the virtual program. Applications will be approved based on attendance, grades, student performance, in-home support from a parent/guardian, and the student’s overall potential for success. District 7 has a limited number of spots for this virtual program.
Following is a program overview:
- Students in grades 3–12 who have registered for enrollment in District 7 for the 2021-2022 school year may apply for admission. The program will not be open to students in 5K – grade 2.
- Enrollment is for the full school year, with no exceptions.
- Tuition for approved students will be covered by District 7.
- Applications will be considered based on students’ demonstrated ability to succeed in the virtual platform, including attendance, grades, and teacher recommendations as well as in-home support from a parent/guardian.
- The program provides a limited range of options, including core courses on grade level for grades 3–8 (i.e. no Odyssey or remedial courses). It includes core courses at the College Prep, Honors and AP level plus other courses required for graduation for grades 9–12.
- A weekly class schedule will be determined by the Spartanburg County Public Virtual Program.
- Virtual students will not be eligible for co-curricular activities or in-person classes but will be eligible to participate in extracurricular sports and activities that take place outside of school hours at their “home” school.
- More information will be forthcoming, including the application timeline and process.
All District 7 students, whether in-person or virtual this year, will receive in-person instruction in our schools for 2021-2022 UNLESS they apply separately to be considered for the Spartanburg County Public Virtual Program. The deadline to apply is 12 p.m. (noon) on June 4, 2021.
The coming year holds so much hope and promise for our community as we emerge from the challenges of the pandemic. Our students have gained resilience, we have been compelled to reexamine our educational experience from a new perspective, and we will move Forward Together as a stronger District 7 community that better serves our students.