WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL COUNSELING PROGRAM?
The primary purpose of the School Guidance Program is to promote the social, emotional, and academic welfare of each student at Pine Street Elementary School.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ROLE?
Pine Street is fortunate to have two counselors. Mrs. Natalie Mullen is the Primary Grades Counselor, serving students in kindergarten through 2nd grade. Mrs. Jodi Stepp is the Intermediate Grades Counselor, serving students in grades 3 through 5. Both counselors provide classroom guidance throughout the school year, conduct small group and individual counseling to students, and consult with teachers and parents concerning student needs.
WHAT TOPICS DO COUNSELORS DISCUSS WITH STUDENTS, PARENTS, AND TEACHERS?
Counselors help students to:
- Understand the abilities and limitations
- Adjusting to a new school
- Find answers to concerns
- Develop skills for getting along with others in the classroom
- Achieve academically in school
- Become aware of the world of work
- Counselors talk with parents about their child’s:
- Progress in school
- Emotional Regulation
- Growth and development
- Counselors assist teachers with:
- Understanding and meeting individual student needs
- Providing guidance for students
- Finding special help for students when it is needed