Currently we have the following initiatives in place with the guiding principle being that reading programs encourage a life-long love of reading:
- The District 7 reading initiative, 7Reads, includes school-wide activities and an author visit that takes place each year.
- McCracken participates in a "One Book, One School" initiative each year. We use this book as a read aloud so that all students hear the same content at the same time, participate in heterogenous groups, hear a fluent reader, and participate in rich discussions and projects with their peers across grade levels.
- McCracken students are encouraged to participate in the Greenville Drive Reading All-Stars Program where students read books during the school year and are recognized by the Greenville Drive at a reading celebration game in May.
- The media center makes available customized reading lists for students using their Lexile scores from the most recent standardized testing.
- Our media center supports the Spartanburg County Public Library by coordinating monthly visits from the SCPL children and teen library staff and publicizing SCPL programs and events throughout the year.
- SC Junior Book Awards: Books nominated for the award are available in the media center and students are encouraged to vote for their favorite.
- We conduct an ongoing teacher professional learning community that focusses on reading and literacy strategies.
- Students particiapte in Stop Drop and Read on Tuesdays and Thursdays which allows students free choice reading time.