Traditionally, children are assigned to a public school according to where they live. Spartanburg School District 7 recognizes that each student is unique and our choice/focus programs are designed to help meet those needs and to nurture students’ talents, interests and aptitudes. School choice programs foster parental involvement and high expectations, and give parents the opportunity to choose the school that will meet their child’s needs. Information on all District 7 schools and links to their websites.
School Choice Enrollment Information
SCHOOL CHOICE enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year closed on February 28, 2022.
Each school year, the District establishes specific procedures and deadlines for School Choice requests. If you are not already participating in School Choice and wish to enroll your child in a school other than the one he/she currently attends or is assigned to attend next year based on your residence (for students moving up from elementary to middle school), you must submit a completed School Choice application online within the deadline.
2022-2023 School Choice Timeline
January 26, 2022 School Choice information is shared with District 7 families
February 1, 2022 School Choice application opens on the District 7 website
February 28, 2022 School Choice application deadline
March 31, 2022 Parents/guardians are notified about the status of their application
Application Process / School Choice Criteria
Parents must consider the following criteria and requirements when completing an application for School Choice:
- Parents who exercise School Choice must provide transportation for their children to and from school. Prompt drop off and pick up of students each day is a requirement to maintain school choice.
- Attendance, discipline and grades are all factors used in making school choice decisions. If attendance or discipline becomes a problem, school choice may be revoked.
- Class size standards as determined by the Board of Trustees will be used to determine the availability of space. Schools at full capacity as determined by official enrollment numbers are closed for choice. Schools which have limited spaces only in certain grades and/or programs will be noted.
- Once choice is granted, students must remain at the choice school through the entire school year, after which time parents could apply for another choice school unless the school choice was revoked because of attendance or discipline.
- Parents may prioritize up to 3 school choice options on their application. Students not granted their first choice may be offered their second or third choice.
- Before applying for a School Choice option at the middle school level, parents and students should be aware of the rules of the South Carolina High School League, which determines eligibility for interscholastic athletics and activities for middle and high school students. The principal and athletic director at each middle school should be consulted. Please note - any rising 8th grade student who accepts a choice option may lose one year of athletic eligibility.
- All applications will be reviewed using the above School Choice criteria.
- All School Choice Applications will be considered, however, there is no guarantee that a choice request will be fulfilled in every case. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.
School Choice for Current or New District 7 Students
- If your student is already participating in School Choice, you do not need to complete a new application. Your child will continue to be enrolled at their current school (if entering middle school, your child will be enrolled in the middle school associated with the current elementary school he/she attends).
- If your student is entering 5K-8th Grade and wants to attend a school out-of-attendance zone, complete a School Choice Application.
School Choice for Out-of-District Students
- Residents who live outside of Spartanburg School District Seven's attendance zone may apply for school choice. If accepted, out-of-district fees will apply as follows: $1,800 a year for one student; if enrolling two students, the fee for the second student is $1,300; if enrolling three students, the fee for the third student is $800.
- Out of district fees are waived for children of fulltime District 7 employees.
District 7's 2022 School Choice Announcement Letter
Contact Us for Questions
In District 7 School Choice
Out of District and Employee School Choice