Retired Educator Certificate
Signed by Governor Henry McMaster on April 4, 2018, Act 145 of 2018 established the Retired Educator certificate which allows retired educators to be eligible to maintain certification for the purpose of substituting.
The Retired Educator certificate allows eligible retirees to maintain certification for the purpose of substituting and is not related to the Retirement Earnings Limitation Exemption for retired teachers seeking to return to teaching in a critical needs subject or geographic area.
The State Board of Education approved the Retired Educator Certificate Guidelines on October 9, 2018. This document outlines the eligibility and application requirements for obtaining and renewing the Retired Educator certificate. To be eligible initially for this credential, an individual must
- have held a valid Professional educator certificate at the time of retirement,
- does not hold another valid educator certificate at the time of application,
- present documentation of retirement date and status from the South Carolina Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA), and
- have never held a South Carolina educator certificate that has been suspended, revoked, or voluntarily surrendered.
An individual issued a Retired Educator certificate may not hold any other type of South Carolina educator certificate.
To apply for Retired Educator certification, please submit the following application materials:
- Complete an application through the CATS Portal;
- Submit a legible photocopy of the New Member Letter from PEBA confirming date of retirement, accompanied by a completed Request for Change/Action Form (option 9);
- Submit a check or money order in the amount of $30 for the application fee, payable to the South Carolina Department of Education and accompanied by a completed Request for Change/Action Form (option 9); and
- Complete the Fingerprinting and Criminal Records Check process, if required.
- Individuals who do not hold a valid South Carolina educator certificate at the time of application for the Retired Educator certificate must complete the fingerprinting and criminal records check process.
- Individuals who hold a valid South Carolina educator certificate at the time of application for the Retired Educator certificate are not required to complete the fingerprinting and criminal records check process.
For assistance in submitting the application for the Retired Educator certificate, please contact the SCDE Office of Educator Services at 803-896-0325, Option 1 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click this link to the South Carolina Department of Education website: https://ed.sc.gov/educators/certification/maintaining-certification/retired-educator-certificate/