Inclement Weather Procedures
As always the safety and security of our students, staff, and families is of the highest priority when these decisions of school delays or closings are made.
We know these days can be confusing so we have the following procedures that we hope will help get all of our students home quickly and safely in the event of a school closing.
- Should school close early after arrival, you will receive a phone call and an email. The information will also be posted on our FacebookandTwitter feeds as well as the school's website. This information will also be announced on media outlets such as TV and radio.
- In most cases, we will have lunch for students prior to dismissal.
- Our teachers use the inclement weather sheet that was filled out in December to ensure your child gets home in the manner you filled out on that sheet.
- During our dismissal process, students will notbe dismissed from the main office. The office will be locked prior to dismissal.
- School buses and most day care vans will pick up on early release days and if indicated on your inclement weather sheet, students will be sent home on the bus or day care van.
- Because teachers are busy getting students fed and packed up, teachers will not be able to check email for any changes to the inclement weather sheet.
We sometimes start school late due to cold temperatures or road conditions. Normally these are two hour delays but on the rare occasion we have a 3 hour delay. The 2 hour delay is simply that, we will run everything 2 hours later (except dismissal time). On a 2 hour delay:
- If the delay is decided upon the night prior, you will receive a phone call and an email as well as postings on Facebook, Twitter and the school's website. We will not call you after 9pm.
- If the delay is decided in the early morning hours, please stay tuned to email, Facebook, Twitter, the school's website, and your local media. We will not do an all call in the early morning prior to 8am.
- Buses will pick up 2 hours later than a normal morning. Sometimes buses will not run on streets that are too icy and dangerous.
- 2nd-5th grade car loop will open at 9:15am.
- K-1st grade car loop will open at 9:30am.
- School start time will be 9:50am.
- Should temperatures be below 30, safety patrol students will not need to be on duty and car line may take longer than usual.
We also may experience school closings due to weather. Whenever possible, district officials make the decision to close school the night before the closing. If decisions are made prior to 9pm the night before the closing, you will receive a phone call. No phone calls will be made to your home after 9pm from JBE. Information will be emailed, posted on our Facebook, Twitter, and school website. If the decision to close school happens in the morning, the information will be posted on the school's website, Facebook and Twitter, and you will receive an email. No phone calls will go out prior to 8am. All information on closing will also be on media outlets such as TV and radio.