Welcome to the Cleveland Media Center
Welcome to the Media Center at The Cleveland Academy of Leadership!
Our goal is to help foster a love for reading by connecting students with books they will enjoy and by assisting teachers with the right materials they need to support the student curriculum.
Due to the restrictions in place because of COVID, we are following the recommended procedures from the American Library Association and the South Carolina Association of School Libraries (SCASL). These restrictions may change at any time and we will make every effort to keep this page updated.
1. Students will use hand sanitizer upon entering and exiting the library. Masks will be worn over the nose and mouth at all times.
2. Students will social distance in the library and have assigned seating.
3. Students in grades 2-5 will bring their MacBooks to the library each sessioin.
4. Students will use the online card catalog to search for their books and to learn how to access digital books.
5. Students will place a hold on their books using Destiny, the online card catalog.
6. Ms. Chandler or Miss Rice will get gather the students' choices of books.
7. Checkout will be limited to one book per student during this restrictive period.
8. Students will hold their book to the plexiglass, say their name clearly and the barcode will be scanned to check the book out.
9.Most classes will not be taking their books home during this time. (this saddens us but is per recommendations).
10. Books will be quarantined for three days (72 hours) before being returned to the shelves and made accessible for checkout.
Scholastic Book Fair
Unfortunately, the Scholastic Book Fair usually held in September has been cancelled. We will let you know if we are able to have a book fair in the spring at a later date.
2020-21 SC Book Award Nominees
These are the 2018-2019 SC Book Award Nominees for Picture and Children's Books. Twenty (20) books for each section have been carefully selected by a committee of librarians, teachers, students, and parents. We have most of these books available in the library. Students will vote in February for their favorite. The SC winner will be announced in March 2021. Picture Book Nominees are on the left. These suitable for Grades 5K-3rd. Chapter Book Nominees are on the right. These titles are suitable for Grades 3rd-5th. Students should read a minimum of five (5) books from their category in order to vote.
Meet Your Library Staff
Ms. Robin Chandler, School Librarian
Ms. Kizzy Rice, Paraprofessional