In addition to regular classroom assessments, DMES students are assessed in a number of ways specified by our district and state. Assessments include…
- Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (KRA)– taken by all K5 students in the first 45 days of school, this assessment helps teachers understand what skills to focus on in order to provide our youngest students the best possible start to their academic journey. Click here to learn more about the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment.
- Our district also utilizes Fountas and Pinnell to understand our students’ reading levels. Click here to learn more about Fountas and Pinnell.
- i-Ready- An online program for reading and mathematics that will help your student's teacher determine your student's needs, personalize their learning, and monitor progress throughout the school year. i-Ready consists of two parts: Diagnostic and Personalized Instruction. The diagnostic is taken in the Fall, winter and Spring. Check with your students' teacher about your student's i-Ready goals. You can learn more about i-ready by watching this video.
- Gifted and Talented Testing– beginning in 2nd grade, students take assessments that help us to identify children eligible to participate in Odyssey, our district’s gifted and talented program. Click here to learn more about the Gifted and Talented identification process.
- SCREADY – all of South Carolina’s 3rd-5th grade students take SC Ready, a three-part assessment that focuses on English Language Arts and Math. 4th grade students will also take SC Ready Science. Click here to learn more about SCREADY.
- WIDA Testing - South Carolina uses WIDA Screener for Kindergarten or WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten, and WIDA Screener or WIDA MODEL (Grades 1-12) to identify multilingual learners (MLs).
In addition to the above, there are assessments that are specific to English language learners and students in special education.
To learn more about assessment, click here to visit the SC Department of Education’s Assessment homepage.