Located at 300 Webber Road, Joseph G. McCracken Middle School was occupied in 1978, moving from Evans Junior High School. The name was chosen to honor the then District Superintendent of the same name, who served the District in that capacity from 1950-1982.
The school sits on a 29 acre site with an upper practice field and a lower football field with walking track. The original building was designed by two groups of joint venture architects: Louis Saur and Associates from St. Louis, MO and Westmoreland-McGarrity-Pitts from Spartanburg. An open design was incorporated into every area with a Commons area that acted as the hub for the entire building. This design remains true to this day.
Our original square footage was 114,845 sq. ft. A major renovation was completed in 2000, bringing the total to 154,779 sq. ft. This renovation, designed by McMillan Smith & Partners, included a state of the art science wing addition, classroom face lifts building wide, accessibility updates, and a major HVAC and plumbing renovation. Security has been enhanced at the facility with the upgrading and addition of cameras throughout the building. In 2015 a major renovation to the athletic field was completed giving our field a new look. Bleachers were added giving our fans comfortable and expanded seating.