- Drayton Mills Elementary
Important Back-to-School News
Hello, Dalmatian Nation! There’s been a ton of information, lately, and I want to try to offer you a quick summary. Please see all four of these; each is really important! These are only summaries, so I have included links on which you can find more detailed information. Also, if you have questions, you can call the school at (864) 586-7979.
1. Bus Sign Up – by THIS Friday, July 31, you need to use this link to sign up for bus transportation if you would like your child to ride a bus to/from school this year: Request for Bus Transportation Survey
2. Return to Learn Plan - per this plan, all elementary students will return to school on an “A/B schedule” beginning the week of August 17. Returning students must wear masks on the bus and in common areas such as hallways. They may be asked to wear masks at times in the classrooms. Students are requested to bring their own masks, but the school will provide them if necessary. If your child’s last name begins with A-K, they will be Cohort A, and they will be at DMES in person on Mondays and Wednesdays. If your child’s last name begins with L-Z, they will be in Cohort B, and they will be at DMES in person on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We will work to be sure that siblings are in the same cohort. On the days that your children are not in person at DMES, they will have assignments to complete at home. Friday is an eLearning day for both cohorts, and all children will join their class via computer. Our district will re-evaluate virus spread, and we may return to all students being in person, five days a week on September 8 in a “family classroom model” that limits person-to-person exposure. There will be no after school programs this school year.
More information about Return to Learn is at https://www.spartanburg7.org/Page/9729)
3. Virtual Learning – by THIS Friday, July 31, you can register your child for the virtual program. This means your child would attend school via a district-issued device. If you choose this option at the elementary level, you are committing to your child participating in virtual learning for the entire 2020-2021 school year.
You can see more information about virtual learning at this link: https://www.spartanburg7.org/Page/9728
You can sign up for Virtual School at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/virtualschoolapplication
In all models, there will be continued support for special education students, mental health, gifted and talented students, students qualifying for McKinney Vento, and English language learners. Both breakfast and lunch will be provided to students whether they are in-person or virtual.
This link has a list of frequently asked questions about both Return to Learn and Virtual School: https://www.spartanburg7.org/Page/9731
4. Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year – whether your child will go in-person or virtual, or whether your child is new or returning, you must register your child for school. To do so, you will need to…
- come to DMES and provide us with two proofs of residency. These include one utility bill (water, power or internet) AND a mortgage/lease/tax bill. If you do not have proof of residency in your name, you must be approved on an affidavit by contacting our district office at (864) 594-4400.
- register your child on InfoSnap. Here is the link: https://www.spartanburg7.org/Page/398
If you have any questions about registration, please call the school at (864) 586-7979.
Next week (Monday, August 3 – Friday, August 7), we will have drive-up registration in the DMES car line each day from 8:30 AM – 11:00 AM. This will be in the back of the school, accessible by turning at the traffic light on Skylyn Drive. To reduce the number of people we have on campus at one time, we are recommending that…
K5 & 1st grade families register on Monday, August 3.
2nd grade families register on Tuesday, August 4.
3rd grade families register on Wednesday, August 5.
4th grade families register on Thursday, August 6.
5th grade families register on Friday, August 7.
If you have children in multiple grade levels, please pick which day is most convenient for you.
On this day, you can bring us your proof of residency, get your car tag, receive important paperwork and your handbook/calendar. We hope to be able to assign children to their classrooms on this day, too. We will not be able to help you access InfoSnap on campus.
If you are registering a new student, you will be directed to park in the back parking lot, and someone will come to your vehicle. You will need to have proof of residency as described above, your child’s birth certificate, and a record of up-to-date immunizations.
Please wear a mask when you come to register!
I recognize that this is a lot of information, but I am hopeful that it helps you to have a shortened version of it all in one place. As always, we are grateful for all of your support, and we remind you that you are always welcome to contact us by calling the school at (864) 586-7979.